Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Persistence of Writing Summary and Questions

The article was very moving in that it made me realize that our age is basically centered around media and not reading and writing. I think that students are beginning to lack the necessary skills for writing and reading, because instead of picking up a book at home for entertainment, we are picking up remotes. Its pathetic and is ruining our generation.

I agree with the article when it says that writing will always have an impact on us and we shouldn't padlock it away because it has become seemingly unpopular.
I love the way the article uses many legitimate sources and quotes to further their opinion and solidify their argument. Not only does the author use modern sources but he also uses older more traditional sources. He also finds support from actual stories not just academic research articles. I find this style very interesting but I can see how a critic would discredit the author mainly by his choices in supporting evidence.

"Without writing the literate mind would not think as it does." This was my favorite part of the text. I loved it and the surrounding quotes because they are profound in their opinions, and I agree with them.

One thing I learned and am interested in are the five canons or precepts of rhetoric that they mentioned toward the end of the article—invention, arrangement, style, delivery, and memory.

Questions:
How do the five canons or precepts of rhetoric relate to writing?
What can we as students do to reverse this trend of the absence of reading and writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment